Topic Unable to Start Pentaho Kettle with DataCleaner Plugin on Mac

John started the topic:
2015-02-26 16:53

Unable to Start Pentaho Kettle with DataCleaner Plugin on Mac

I downloaded the DataCleaner Plugin for Kettle following the instructions here http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Human+Inference but I now no longer can start Kettle on my Mac (OSX 10.10.2). If I remove the DataCleaner plugin manually then Pentaho Kettle starts normally. I believe this issue is related to the previous post regarding not able to start DataCleaner on Mac since I also cannot start the mac app version of DataCleaner. When I run Java -version I get:
java version "1.8.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

I know on OSX some applications still rely on the old Java 1.6 that was shipped with OSX. How do I go about to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Kasper Sørensen replied:
2015-02-27 09:01
Hi John,

Did you install the extension via the marketplace? The wiki page you refer to mentions that on Kettle 4.x versions there is a manual download option. But today we at least only maintain the marketplace version (since it allows us from DC side to control it, whereas the manual download+install was a bit out of our hands).

Kasper
John replied:
2015-02-27 14:45
Thanks for your reply Kasper. I am using Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) v5.2 so yes I used the marketplace to install the plugin from within the pentaho application. The installation went smoothly and appeared to be totally successful, but when I start PDI Kettle I see a splash screen and then nothing. If I remove the plugin by deleting the datacleaner folders in the PDI plugin directory then PDI starts perfectly fine. When I re-install the plugin, PDI wont start again.

I had a similar issue when I downloaded the standalone DataCleaner for Mac and found that it required Java 7 or later but is packeded using a JavaAppLaucher not compatible with Java 7. I had to do some info.plist and appbundler trickery as per this page http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14806709/application-is-using-java-6-from-apple-instead-of-java-7-from-oracle-on-mac-os-x. But I dont understand why the plugin which is just a jar file wont run unless it is also expecting some specific java version. I believe PDI 5.2 for OSX is still expecting Java 1.6 which was the last version of Java Apple shipped with their OS.
Kasper Sørensen replied:
2015-02-27 14:53
Ah hmm. DataCleaner DOES require Java 7 (or 8) so if you're starting PDI with Java 6 I can see it go wrong ... The other story you tell about the JavaAppLauncher - ugh, that's not so nice. But we actually have right now a Mac engineer doing work to make us better in line with Apple application standards for packaging and such ;-) I expect this to be fixed soon!
John replied:
2015-02-27 14:57
Thanks again. I will see if I can force PDI for Mac to launch using Java 1.8 instead of 1.6 as I have both installed on my Mac...
Kasper Sørensen replied:
2015-02-27 15:03
Cool. Please let us know how it goes :-)
johnbritt replied:
2018-01-17 07:35
Based on my observation, after installing datacleaner plug-in through marketplace, I can see a directory named "kettle 6 profiling data cleaner" in plugins directory. The required core Data cleaner libraries and scripts are not available in this directory. For getting these required files, you have to copy the "Data Cleaner" directory, which is downloaded from DataCleaner site, to the kettle 6 profiling data cleaner directory.

Once done, you should restart the spoon interface to access and configure the data cleaner plug-in through spoon interface.
mlb2 replied:
2018-02-14 18:16
was this ever resolved, so that the installation of DC from the PDI/Kettle Marketplace will put the correct DC folders and files in the correct PDI plugin subdirectory (without needing Johnbritt's workaround)?
You are not signed in.
You need to be signed in to participate in the discussion.